Albero is a village located on the outskirts of Cvstodia. It is one of the last redoubts of safety, inhabited by the Kissers of Wounds. This brotherhood of healers aids the sick and dying that are at the mercy of the Miracle. It is also home to the secretive Order of the True Shrine, whose mission is dedicated to the proper burial of separated remains. Time in the outside lands passes differently, and the inhabitants of Albero have more immediate worries in their own community than when the sun over a distant land sets.
The area has the appearance of a medieval town, with many sick looking people sitting in the streets. As the player progresses through the game, more people and even domestic animals will be seen in the streets, in windows and at the roofs. The Penitent One can find Tirso on the second floor of the building, brother of the Kissers of Wounds. He will ask for ingredients for medicinal ointments and thus trigger the Quest: Healing Herbs. In the next building, which cannot yet be entered, The Penitent One meets Lvdovico, a member of the Order of the True Shrine. He will ask The Penitent One to bring remains of unburied corpses so that they may be given a proper burial, triggering The True Shrine quest.
Order of the True Shrine Church; as of the Stir of Dawn free DLC the church doors permanently open after defeating one of the three initial bosses (Ten Piedad, Our Lady of the Charred Visage or Tres Angustias). The church is empty inside, seemingly abandoned, save for a shrine at the end where tears may be donated and guilt expunged. If certain conditions are met, Cleofas can be found inside the church.
Upon donating enough tears (in total), the church gets progressively more lavish decoration. As donations increase, a few inhabitants will come and pray as well, surrounded by eventual statues, paintings, couches, and other assets. The donation box also becomes bigger and more ornate.
Several rewards are also unlocked for the player at certain donation totals:
- 2,000 tears will allow The Penitent One to use the donation box to cleanse his guilt, just like with the Statues of Confessors
- 5,000 tears will net the new rosary bead Token of Appreciation.
- 10,000 tears will upgrade all Prie Dieu in Cvstodia so that they refill your fervor as well as your health.
- With 20,000 tears, The Penitent One will gain access to a permanent warp upgrade that can be used to teleport from one Prie Dieu to another. The altar will now have three almost naked men holding it up, as the altar now sports a complete redesign.
- 30,000 tears will allow The Penitent One to use the confessor feature of the donation box for free.
- 50,000 tears will net a new bead, Cloistered Ruby.
- 100,000 tears donated will result in a new skin for The Penitent One, Alms For Oblivion.
After donating 100,000 tears, the player will not be able to donate more and kneeling to the shrine will automatically cleanse the Penitent One of accumulated guilt.
Note that donated tears are reset to zero upon entering New Game Plus, but any beads and the skin are kept.
There is a fountain next to the Prie Dieu altar that can be interacted with after obtaining either Linen Cloth, Severed Hand or Hatched Egg of Deformity. Interacting with the fountain will transport The Penitent One to the Lake of Silent Pilgrims, a barren stretch of salt with bodies encased in salt to match. The Blessed Lord of Salty Shores resides here, and trading certain items with him will return Relics. Trading with him is required for the Quest: Egg of Deformity. The followed relics can be acquired from him:
|Shroud of Dreamt Sins|
|Three Gnarled Tongues
Given as part of the Egg of Deformity questline.
|Incorrupt Hand of the Fraternal Master
Given in return of the Severed Hand (found in the Desecrated Cistern right before the door to the fountain, slide under the floor on the opposite side below where the corpse is. Requires Nail Uprooted from Dirt to reach). Give the hand to the statue in the Lake of Silent Pilgrims to receive the shroud. To enter the frozen realm, interact with the fountain in the middle of Albero.
In Stir of Dawn DLC, a dog may appear that the player can pet at the far right of the area.
There is no boss for this area.
|Phalanx of Brannon, the Gravedigger|
Right after the True Shrine.
- "Albero" is a Spanish word that makes reference to a kind of a sedimentary earth formed by an accumulation of detritic materials of marine origin. Also known as "calcarenita de los Alcores", it's a common earth in Andalusia (Spain), specially in Seville. "Albero" is also used to name the ochre colour of that earth, which dominates the landscape in the village of the game.