Blasphemous is a punishing action-platformer that combines the fast-paced, skilled combat of a hack-n-slash game with a deep and evocative narrative core, delivered through exploration of a huge universe comprised of non-linear levels. It was developed by Spanish studio The Game Kitchen and published by Team17. The game was released for Nintendo Switch, PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on September 10, 2019.
Play as the Penitent One - a sole survivor of the massacre of the ‘Silent Sorrow’. Trapped in an endless cycle of death and rebirth, it’s down to him to free the world from this terrible fate and reach the origin of his anguish.
- Main article: Game Mechanics
- Explore a Non-Linear World: Overcome fearsome enemies and deadly traps venturing through a variety of different landscapes, and search for redemption in the dark gothic world of Cvstodia.
- Brutal Combat: Release the power of Mea Culpa, a sword born from guilt itself, to slaughter foes and acquire devastating new combos and special moves.
- Executions: Unleash the Penitent One's wrath and relish in the gory dismemberment of his enemies - all in beautifully rendered, pixel-perfect execution animations.
- Customise: Discover and equip Relics, Rosary Beads, Prayers and Sword Hearts to give new abilities and stat boosts that the Penitent One needs to survive.
- Intense Boss Battles: Hordes of gigantic, twisted creatures stand between the Penitent One and his goal. Learn how they move, survive their devastating attacks and emerge victorious.
- Unlock the Mysteries of Cvstodia: The world is full of tormented souls. Some offer aid, some may ask for something in return. Uncover the stories and fates of these tortured characters to gain rewards and a deeper understanding of this dark world.
The story of Blasphemous is set in the deeply religious realm of Cvstodia, where the Sorrowful Miracle manifests itself to both the pious and sinful in cruel and unusual ways. Every pain of the soul is tangible within everyone and everywhere, whether in the form of a blessing or a punishment. With such a divine and unfathomable will at large, all one can do is make penance.
A warrior forever vowed to silence, The Penitent One, awakens in a sanctuary surrounded by his slain comrades. Under the guidance of Deogracias and with the strength of the sword of guilt, he fights his way to the Cradle of Affliction to fulfill this ultimate penance. Throughout his journey, he traverses a land ravaged by the Grievous Miracle, battling beasts consumed by faith and rage, communing with holy figures, assisting others at the mercy of The Miracle, and freeing tormented souls from eternal punishment.
The Penitent One's guilt is his strength; his pilgrimage is his penance. But in the end, it is the will of The Miracle to decide if his guilt is enough to earn him salvation.