Fervour is used to cast Prayers or perform special attacks. It is gained either by slaying and executing enemies, recovering a Guilt Fragment, or holding RANGED ATTACK so that The Penitent One sacrifices his own blood (one-sixth of base health) as well as 50 Tears of Atonement to add to his Fervour (one and a quarter bars worth).
The Penitent One can increase his maximum Fervour by anointing himself with the Oil of the Pilgrims, pictured to the right. Their locations are listed below.
- Desecrated Cistern, behind an illusory wall shortly before Mountains of the Endless Dusk.
- Graveyard of the Peaks, behind an illusory wall in the the top right of the area.
- Mother of Mothers, behind an illusory wall near the Knot of the Three Words.
- Library of the Negated Words, behind an illusory wall directly to the left of the first Prie Dieu in The Sleeping Canvases.
- Wall of the Holy Prohibitions, behind an illusory wall in a cell that requires Key of the Scribe to open.
- Grievance Ascends, in the room directly across from the Sanguine Fountain. Requires Blood Perpetuated in Sand to reach, Silvered Lung of Dolphos recommended.